Friday, 23 November 2007

Well, in this city on Black Friday it's easier to buy a new laptop than buy a ballpoint pen. So I bought a laptop.
That's not really why I bought one but with a laptop I can burn my own photo CDs, use the wireless so I don't have to wait ages to use the stupid crappy communal computers. Seriously-is anything communal ever nice?
Plus it was $550 and I get $150 of that back with a rebate. That's right...$400 laptop!
It's an Acer Aspire, has 1.73GHz CPU, 14" screen (perfect portable size), 512MB DDR2 ram (will get it upgraded), 80GB HD etc.
Can watch DVDs on it too-I wonder if that will be a problem with region-coded DVDs?

I also bought a memory card reader for really cheap so I'll be loading all my photos onto here too...

I'm very happy with it, I need to get a bag/case for it next so I can take it around with me and be all uber cool drinking coffee and 'working' on my laptop in a cafe. That is another good point though-now I may actually be able to get some 'work' done so I don't bomb out this semester as badly as I am at the moment.

I really need to stop spending money now!!!!!!

There were some Aussie guys in the kitchen this morning that were very impressed with my tube of Vegemite :-P I'm so glad I bought it-I love it!

This afternoon I need to get out and try to get a replacement charger for my pentax or get that one fixed. I tried in Radio Shack but they didn't have any anymore. There's a camera place near here so I might go there. Thinking about going to the Safeway (need to take a bus) but it's cheaper to buy food here instead of buying all the bits to make it! I still need a pen though so I should head out soon and get all that sorted. Also have more stuff to send back home so I need a post office.
Still waiting on my stupid tracfone replacement to arrive here-will call them tomorrow and see where the hell it is! I need it to call the airline and stuff on so I'm not using my roaming to make calls that I could make for cheaper with the tracfone.

I thought I would have stacks to do here, but I am feeling a bit bored/low...:(
Maybe it's just not having anybody to talk to that does it. I feel like one of those nuns that don't speak-I only say maybe, 20 words a day now? And they are usually just stuff to the hostel desk staff, store clerks, or stuff like 'excuse me'/'sorry'.
The three french speaking girls in my room are, stereotypically, arrogant and don't talk to me at all. There are two german girls who only speak german and there are two/three scottish girls who aren't around much and even then they are mostly talking to each other. I'm just not a very outgoing person! There is a lady from Uganda across from me and she is nice, she said she was just in Alaska and it was beautiful-so that was good to hear. But she's much older and is in Seattle to buy a house so she's not really someone who I can 'hang out' with.
There are some Aussies here but half of them talk shit and the other half are in a group so it's hard to get conversations started...

I should stop whinging. I really want a coffee...I think I'm re-addicted to caffiene again. They have caffienated chocolate here too!!!

Aaaaaanyway-I hope everybody votes well and votes hard tomorrow-I'm so excited I hope Rudd wins! Mmmmm there is a pumpkin spice latte with my name on it and it's calling me (just need to find a Tully's), also had the nicest pumpkin cookie the other day-it was more like a mini-cake. So delicious!
Ok I'm off-
Take care
Lisha

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The laptop sounds good. Money well spent. DVD region-coding won't be a problem with a program like AnyDVD or DVD-Ghost. Keep enjoying yourself, and hopefully you'll come home to a Ruddy Australia.

Matt Cole said...

Good score with the laptop. However, I don't think it will help you meet people. Which seems to be on your mind. Cheers for your advice on my bloggin', I agree totally and will just type away.

Just voted...phew. I made the Labour dudes laugh when the Liberal vollie tried to talk to me about John. Told him he had to be joking and that Johnny has no future and knew what i was doing unlike the Liberals. Fun times.

Love your pix. The sculptures are awesome. How did you get your page in a wide format?

Lisha said...

Bob-did you get my parcel?
Also, I need to upgrade this little beasty...I wonder if I can just take it back to Radio Shack and have them do it for me?

I changed my page format to 'stretch denim' or something denim like that page style so the photos wouldn't get cropped off at the sides like they were before.