Friday, 16 November 2007

Such a lovely place, such a lovely face...

Seriously-somebody put 'Hotel California' on the stereo in the dining room...

I'm so tired-like, unbelievably tired.  It's not even 8pm here yet!  Yesterday was like this too, and I ended up crashing out from like 7.30pm til 10.30pm and then not being able to get to sleep again until 3am.  Then waking up at 8am the next morning.  Lather, rinse, and repeat.
Is this what jetlag is?  I thought I was doing ok but I don't understand why *this* time of day is when my energy is so sapped.  Going to fight it though and not sleep until 'bedtime' tonight though...

Went to the Australian Consulate today with Michael who was running about trying to get an Australian passport.  Get this, because his dad is Irish, Michael is able to get dual citizenship.  So when faced with the option of getting an Irish passport for $80 or an Australian passport for $200, he went with the Irish passport.
Anyway, now he is in the USA unless he has an Australian passport the airline will refuse him entry onto the flight back into Australia because he doesn't have proof he is 'Australian' nor the appropriate visa.  But he can't get the visa because he actually is on the 'system' as being a citizen!
So, he needs to arrange an emergency passport to be sent to him here.  This is where I come in-luckily for him, he has somebody who can act as a witness/whatever to sign his passport photo to show that I know him.  If I weren't here he'd have had to fly to Texas and get his other friend who lives there to sign the forms.
The whole situation is fucked, what I don't understand is how he didn't know any of this before he left?!?
Anyway it's fixed now so it's of no real concern anymore.

The fog has rolled in and we're seeing 'true' SF weather now.  It's brisk and a little windy, much like late Autumn in Sydney.  I love it!  Michael however doesn't like the cold and keeps adamantly reminding me that this weather is 'colder than the coldest day in Sydney!'.  I severely doubt that!!!
The fog meant that we didn't go up into the Transamerica Pyramid (if you can even get up to an observation deck) because it would have been pointless.  Also because we ran out of time because we were too busy shopping.  Oops!
Ok...a quick check of Wiki tells me that the Floor 27 Observation Deck is no longer open (stupid fucking September 11) instead there is a 'Virtual Observation Deck'.
WTF?  Yeah, let's go into this sweet huge building and look at some monitors that are showing pictures from the real Ob. Deck.  Lousy.
It's a pretty mad building though-we have a great view of it from our hostel room.
(I did NOT take this photo, I'm pretty angry that I haven't been able to upload my pics yet!)


On our travels today we went to Gap, H&M, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Westfields (hahaha), Nordstrom (I think), Saks 5th Avenue, Forever 21 (USA's version of Supre), Diesel and a few other places.  All the shops here are multi level, too.  The average number of floors is three.  It's a novelty at first but gets annoying after a while.  Most of the shops have lifts though but it feels to lazy to use them all the time.
We also went downstairs in the food court area of the Westfield (haha) centre and saw this place called Britol Farms-it was massive...like a specialty supermarket and fast food place all in one.  It's hard to describe.  Here's their link so you can see for yourselves. http://www.bristolfarms.com/locations/sanfrancisco.html
I suppose the closest thing in Sydney I can liken it to is David Jones Food Hall, but nicer.  They had this self serve stuff, and it was like $8.56 (their prices always come in odd amounts) per pound.  We think nothing of it and get a container and put some food in, then when we go to pay it comes to almost $30!  What??  Then we check out the receipt and it turns out we've got like, 3.2lbs of food!
I had 1.4lbs-damn Turkey being so heavy!!!
I couldn't eat it all...what a waste.  I feel more American every day!

Tomorrow is Alcatraz tour and Fisherman's Wharf and Golden Gate Bridge.  It's going to be a full on day but there won't be the mucking around with passports and passport photos like there was today.

My iPod has also conveniently shat itself too.  Not happy...the Apple store here is no help either because it's only good for US bought products I'm pretty sure.  The place is nuts, it's always packed like a party is going on in there!  It says there are songs on there but it won't play them and has lost all the cover art.  Also the games are busted and it says I need to plug it in and reinstall iTunes.  Fat chance of that happening anytime soon!!!  So pissed off.

Beeing meeting and hearing more Aussies about...it seems like all the Aussies here put on a broader accent and use expressions they wouldn't use at home.  The amount of times I've heard 'mate' and other ocker-isms is much more than frequent than I hear them at home!

Meanwhile I have finally bought a Tracfone.  Piece of shit.  Have to struggle some more to activate it tomorrow.  But it was only $16 and a $30 phone card so I can't complain too much.

SHIT gotta go!
Take care will update more later
-Lisha

3 comments:

Calamares said...

Your ipod is dead already! how shit...you just made my decision on whether to spend an extra 50bucks and get an iriver that much easier!

stottle said...

i planted putena (sp?) seeds received free with telstra broad band connection and they have started to grow. they shall soon form an army and do my bidding on ebay. leaf me alone will be the war cry.
punj - where is the spurious subpoena hiding @ smacktown. precious needs him he does.

Lisha said...

I think they're next to the little TV in the kitchen? The one that nobody uses except me to watch Heroes when I'm cooking.
It's around there somewhere...