Most of the people I have spoken to and told I'm travelling by myself, have said 'Oh you're so brave'.
I don't feel brave. I feel like a wuss. I'm not getting half the stuff done I want to be doing (like taking lots of photos or documenting my trip with videos). It's kind of like I've just switched sitting around and going out at home to a different location.
It's difficult, or challenging enough just going day to day without adding in all the other stuff I wish I were doing, like going on long walks to take photos or meeting lots of new people or making mini documentaries about the areas I am visiting. I wanted to have lots of photos with me and the locals and stuff like that. I haven't been doing that-because I'm a wuss.
Don't get me wrong-I *am* taking photos and seeing things and meeting people, but not to the extent I would like to be. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic.
Before I left people said I was stupid for coming up to such a barren/wild place like Alaska by myself...in winter.
I think I tend to believe them more than the people who think I'm 'brave' or something for it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I felt that way when i went to NYC for the first time - like i really wanted to do as much as possible, but ultimately most of my time was spent either getting to and from a few different things, or back where i was staying just watching dvds. But it was still a good time, and i ended up still feeling like i had a pretty New Yorky experience. If that makes sense :S
If you're still not meeting many people once you get to NY let me know.. i might be able to get a couple people to show you around. If they're not crazy busy that is, which usually they are.. Hm. Well it's worth a try anyway :P
-melly
Hello from Allison's mom, again! Listen honey, I don't know how flexible your travel arrangements are but I wanted to assure you that you can always come to Rochester early and spend Christmas here with us so you aren't alone, and you could always use our house as a central stopping point for NYC and Niagara Falls.
Also, we could drive you to Niagara Falls but we can only see the USA side(which we are pretty partial to...lol...) because we don't have passports. But there is so much stuff around Rochester that we would love to do with you (zoo, museum, planetarium, art gallery, movies, bowling, hand feeding chickadees at Mendon Ponds, visiting Letchworth State Park-aka 'the little grand canyon of the east', driving aimlessly around western NY, etc.) but there's just not enough time.
Or,if you can't get a flight home and need to stay longer you can stay with us for as long as you want. You have all kinds of options and our home is wide open to you, we're real laid back and easy going so you would settle right in, believe me. Just keep us in mind if you need somewhere to crash! And let us know if you need any help :-)
I'll stop rambling and rearranging your entire trip now, we're looking forward to seeing you...be safe!
Hey lisha, I got your package the day of your text. Thanks for the mags, how did you know it was up my alley? :P That really sux about getting your stuff stolen, but I guess what can you do , except everything that you are now. I think generally everyone has crazy expectations about where they are going before they leave home and then when they finally get there its a bit '....oh this is what its like' but at least your getting out and seeing stuff. Lastly Beavers!! I don't believe it and otters too! did the fur feel velvety like a platypus or a little coarse like a dog? Are those things endangered or are they like kangaroos? My parents saw snow leopard and tiger skins in nepal, which i found slightly upsetting. Here we are having the tropical la nina summer which is pretty cool with arvo thunderstorms. And the general christmas madness is just starting to begin. I think I would take high humidity over frozen hair although there is frizziness. ok enough random rambling.
Take care oxox
Three M's!
Thanks all-every bit of advice or support helps me alot :)
The animals they use for fur aren't endangered, they have farms for blue foxes and stuff. Beavers are pretty common in the waterways apparently (haven't seen one yet) but still....the beaver fur was weird-and the otter fur wasn't very soft and luxurious. Lucky for them I suppose otherwise more people would want to wear it?
you know whats scary about alaska though, its the nothingness the endlessness...ness.........oooooooh ice flow nowhere to go....................................... seriously when are u gonna be in the tundra already?
east some road-kill. the bum be the be tasty bits.
Post a Comment