Tuesday, 15 January 2008

Once

Howdy!!

This movie (Once) has been following me across the country. It's not even at the cinemas anymore, it's on DVD. I didn't pay too much attention to it the first time I saw it (in Fairbanks) and now in New York I came in half way through so I haven't seen it all but it's about two young adults in Dublin who randomly meet and start up a friendship. Everything happens for a reason! The main song in it though is stuck in my head now....

Bought the lonely planet guide for Dublin today and have been having a quick look through it. I was (and still am) nervous about going to Dublin but reading the guide it sounds like it could be somewhere I will enjoy or be comfortable in. The people are talkative and self-deprecating and love taking the piss. My kind of city! It's a shame everything there is so expensive. Really really really need to find a job there. But what I need to do before I go is find out the confirmation number for my flight so I can print out my booking sheet (oops).

This stupid computer is too slow so I'm not going to upload my photos tonight. Today I slept in then took the subway across to Brooklyn and walked back across the bridge. It's pretty cool, the bridge is multi-level where the cars drive in their lanes and in the middle of the lanes, up above, is where the pedestrians walk. There are minimal barriers though and places where you could, if you wanted, walk across a narrow catwalk right to the edge of the bridge-you'd think they would have it fenced off or something. It started to snow a little on the way across, which is nice because I like snow. But it wasn't anything that was settling on the ground. Which is nice too, because I hate slush. Ok I tell a lie I have two photos I can show you:





Today was a very productive day. If by productive you mean expensive. But now I have done pretty much all the souvenier shopping I wanted to get done so I shouldn't need to spend any more money on things other than transport and food for the next few days at least...
Went to the Nintendo store in Rockefeller Plaza-that place is awesome! They had DS consoles and Wiis set up everywhere with different games on them so you could try the games out. Mario Galaxy is really cool...but then a kid wanted to play so I had to stop :-( They also had a nice little display of different Nintendo systems from over the years.
Trundled all over the city carrying heavy bags and bought some groceries and now I'm back at the hostel. As usual, there are lots of Aussies here but they are solo travellers generally and the common room here isn't as busy as the one back at the Big Apple Hostel.

Anyway...if I get up early tomorrow I will ride the Long Island Railroad and head out to Montauk. If I don't, then I will....hmmm I'm not sure what I will do. Maybe go to the Botanic Gardens in the Bronx or Coney Island or the Aquarium in Brooklyn.

Here are the lyrics to the song from the movie:
When Your Mind's Made Up

(Glen Hansard/Markéta Irglová)

So, if you want something
And you call, call
Then I'll come running
To fight, and I'll be at your door
When there's nothing worth running for

When your mind's made up
When your mind's made up
There's no point trying to change it
When your mind's made up
When your mind's made up
There's no point even talking

You see, you're just like everyone
When the shit falls all you want to do is run, away
And hide all by yourself
well there's no point that's gonna warn to help

When your mind's made up
When your mind's made up
There's no point trying to change it
When your mind's made up
When your mind's made up
There's no point even talking
When your mind's made up
When your mind's made up
There's no point trying to change it

So, if you ever want something
And you call, call
Then I'll come running



I suppose that's all from me tonight!
xxx lisha

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, more fantastic photos - lights lights lights everywhere you look! Glad you're having lots of fun. I would be so lost on my own but seems you know the right people to talk to, to make the most of every day!

No more sleep-ins for Elisha - buy an alarm clock.

So you're in NY until 20th Jan - when you go to Dublin??

Lisha said...

Yup yup, actually the 21st (confirmed and know the date now-yay!).
Taking *so* many photos it's crazy! Almost on to my new memory card for the canon which is a big thing cos I think I'm using 4 gig cards?

Calamares said...

i love once, that opening scene and song is amazing, a bit too much wobbly camera though!

Anonymous said...

You should have walked to the edge of the bridge as if you were going to jump off it. Then the Fantastic Four would have destroyed the bridge in an effort to save you. It's true, I saw it on the news once.