Yay Belfast!
I like it up here. It's rainy and blowing an absolute gale but it's mostly how I remember it. Went on a Black Taxi tour of the city today, it was really interesting. The driver knew alot about the political history of Belfast and we actually got to drive through the openings in the peace wall from the Catholic to the Protestant side. Last time I was up around that area the damn gates were closed. When we were stopped at a set of lights the driver goes 'You see that wee dog down thar?' and we look at this little dog sniffing around on the pavement...'that's a protestant dog'. We are intrigued as to how he knows this. 'Aye, and he's come across to the catholic side just to take a shit'. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!
In other news, I'm not dead from the chicken sandwich. Score 1 for Lisha, 0 for 3 day old meat sandwiches of questionable origin.
I'm sure I had some more interesting stuff to write up on here but it's out of my brain at the moment. It's almost 3am here-waiting for Darren to finish doing his night porter business here at the hostel. It's good to see all the people here again :-) I reckon I'd like to run a hostel myself one day. There is a job going right now for somebody to run the Annascaul hostel (same company/owner as Belfast and Dublin) but you have to be able to run the pub and the food part of the pub and stuff like that too. It doesn't get real busy but it only pays €250 a week. Plus I'd get too lonely down there by myself. If only a certain trained chef/hostel employee I know would work down there too...
Speaking of which, yesterday was the 29th of Feb. Happy once in four years day! Up here it's a big thing that on Feb 29th it's the 'womens day' to propose to their boyfriends. No, I didn't propose to anybody. The Daily Sport (don't know how they get away with calling it that...it's just all boobs) had a double page spread of 'How to stop your girlfriend from popping the question to you today'. Apparently back in the day when Queen Mary was in charge of things it was law that on the 29th of Feb it was illegal for a guy to reject a proposal and if he did he got fined. But then again I read that in the Sport too so it's probably bullshit.
That's about all from me for now-just dropping in to leave a quick word. Back to the grind tomorrow in Dublin (10am start OHHHHHHHH DAMMIT) and then the boss gets back on Monday. He's going to come down on us hard when he comes back I just know it. I'm already getting my pay docked by €46 this week because that's how much my till was short on my last shift. Fair enough but it's not like I took the money so it's slack that it's out of my own money. It encourages good book-keeping I suppose. It's not fair though when you are called to do something else and there is nothing stopping somebody from going behind the counter and taking it though. What is really retarded though is that if the till is *over* for the shift, then that same amount also gets taken from our pay!!! It's much easier to spirit away money or explain it away than it is to find lost money. So yeah, apart from that my shifts have been coming up with even tills. Expect a very narky and frustrated entry on Monday, that's all I can say.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment